Dr. Daniel Aronov
This episode is a live broadcast from a lecture given at the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners conference. It is a collection of my favourite evidence-based clinical pearls for the most common presentation in primary care: respiratory tract infections. We’ll cover antibiotics for otitis media, sore throat and bronchitis, steroids for sore throat, Tamiflu, treatments for cough and a few other random things in between.
To watch this talk with the slides head on over to my YouTube channel (and subscribe while you’re there ;-p): www.youtube.com/drdanMD
- Ebell, M., et al., How Long Does a Cough Last? Comparing Patients’ Expectations With Data From a Systematic Review of the Literature. Annals of Family Medicine Feb 2013
- Thompson M, Vodicka TA, Blair PS, et al, for the TARGET Programme Team. Duration of symptoms of respiratory tract infections in children: systematic review. BMJ 2013;347:f2027
- Smith SM,, Fahey T,, Smucny J,, Becker LA.. Antibiotics for acute bronchitis.. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2014,, Issue 3.. Art.. No..:: CD000245.. DOI:: 10.1002//114651858..
- Paul;, et al., Effect of honey, dextromethorphan (robitussin), and no treatment on nocturnal cough and sleep quality for coughing children and their parents., Arch Pediiatric Adolescent Medicine 2007
- Shadkam, et al., A Comparison of the Effect of Honey, Dextromethorphan, and Diphenhydramine on Nightly Cough and Sleep Quality in Children and Their Parents. Journal of Alternative Complementary Medicine, 2010.
- Cohen., et al. Effect of honey on nocturnal cough and sleep quality: a double blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study. Pediatrics 2012
- Paul, et al. Vapor Rub, Petrolatum, and No Treatment for children with nocturnal cough and cold symptoms. Pediatrics Nov 2010
- Centor, et al. The diagnosis of strep throat in adults in the emergency room. Medical Decision Making., 1981
- Spinks A, Glasziou PP, Del Mar CB. Antibiotics for sore throat. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2013, Issue 11. Art. No.: CD000023. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD000023.pub4.
- Hayward G, Thompson MJ, Perera R, Glasziou PP, Del Mar CB, Heneghan CJ. Corticosteroids as standalone or add-on treatment for sore throat. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2012, Issue 10. Art. No.: CD008268. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD008268.pub2.
- Vergison, et al., Otitis media and its consequences: beyond the earache. Lancet 2010
- Venekamp RP, Sanders SL, Glasziou PP, Del Mar CB, Rovers MM. Antibiotics for acute otitis media in children. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2015, Issue 6. Art. No.: CD000219. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD000219.pub4.